San Francisco

All this time I had been kidding myself and saying that I’d never get a weekend away because I’ve literally been so busy lately. I finally did get away not so long ago, but only for about a day and a half to SF for the weekend.

It turns out it that weekend was the end of the Games Developers Conference (GDC) so I knew there were going to be past colleagues out there and I was right.

When I arrived at SFO airport, I decided to save myself $50 for a cab ride to my hotel in Union Square, and took the rapid transit instead. It’s the first train I’ve been on this side of the Atlantic. Got me to downtown SF in 30 minutes.

I did have to ask someone how to use the ticket machines though which I thought were a little confusing an unintuitive.

Firstly, you have to find the price of he fare of your destination station manually. Next, you had to insert note(s) over your actual fare and for some reason it won’t take $20 bills so I had to get that change somewhere. Then you use a combination of buttons on the panel (minus / plus $1, minus / plus 5c) until the amount of your ticket is the correct fare. Finally you can print your ticket.

They could have done this; let you select a station and a fare would be displayed. You insert $10, $20, or even $50 bill in the ticket machine and it gives you change. More efficient! – They do that in most places I’ve visited around the world.

I met up with an old boss of mine on Saturday who happened to be at GDC, and hooked up with an ex colleague. Sunday was a grey miserable day, so I stayed close to the hotel. I wasn’t prepared for wet weather. Even though the outlook was supposed to be dry when I checked the weather before setting off to SF.

On my return home I found out that homeless people tend to hang out by the ticket machines offering assistance to people purchasing tickets. Well, they really were persistent in helping you even though I said I could manage. They pressed the – and + buttons to help me through the process, then they asked me for $2, but I just walked off in a hurry.

Back at SFO, I had learned that my flight was delayed by almost 2 hours. This was because the airport shuts down one runway in foggy conditions which occurs a lot as my friends who live in SF mentioned. Flight delays always tend to happen to me, for a whole year, every flight I’ve been on has been delayed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s